We briefly explored the history of gay rights in Australia, including laws referring to same-sex marriage around the world. Some of the artists included in last night's playlist were K.D Lang, Janis Ian, Elton John, Peter Allen, Liberace and the Indigo Girls.
Next week, I hope to explore this topic further, especially the difficulties faced by young people who live in rural areas and maybe struggling with their sexuality.
Next week our theme will be "Brave, courageous and strong", and I hope to explore this theme more, especially the issues facing young people in the GLBT (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender) community living in rural areas, or rural youth who may be struggling with their sexuality. I hope to explore the subject of people who have to be brave when faced with difficulties in their lives (being diagnosed with a terminal illness perhaps).
Last night's playlist included:-
- I believe in love by the Indigo Girls
- 21st century life by Sam Sparro
- How could I ever know (from Secret Garden) Deborah Cheetham, Stephen Blackburn and Jonathon Welsh
- Baby, You can sleep while I drive by Melissa Etheridge
- Small town boy by the Bronski Beat
- I'm still standing by Elton John
- Quiet please, there's a lady on stage by Peter Allen
- Tenterfield Saddler by Peter Allen
- I go to Rio by Peter Allen
- Lady by Styx (with Chuck Panozzo)
- Hit that perfect beat, Truth, dare, double dare, and C'mon, c'mon from the Bronski Beat
- At Seventeen by Janis Ian
- After the Goldrush and Crying (with Roy Orbison) by K.D Lang
- The Sound of White by Missy Higgins, who apparently has said that she has been in relationships with both men and women
- The Prayer by Anthony Callea
- Piece of my heart by Melissa Etheridge
- I don't feel like dancing by the Scissor Sisters
- As long as she needs me medley by Liberace